Wednesday, May 11

Just how hard is it supposed to be?

So moving to Halifax for the summer, was supposed to be lighthearted, fun...easy. To my deeep displeasure, living on the coast of the world, has been anything but a good time.
I don't want to sound negative, I love the city and the people. It's just the job market that has me wishing I wasn't a student, and that I could advertise all the skills I've gathered over the years.
I came here naively thinking I would have no problem finding a job. I was W-R-O-N-G. However it is probably my pride that is keeping me from being employed today. But that's not what I want to talk about now...I want to talk about, the way looking for a job, can totally destroy a girl.
You would think being a student would enable you to gain employment. Doesn't it prove that you have brains, you are committed, and diligent? Doesn't it say "I have goals, and I want to make a difference?" Guess not.
In a city of 500,000 (?) I have not been able to find a full time job anywhere. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places, or calling the right numbers? Even the part-time job market is difficult to break into. No one wants a student, someone who is only around four months of the year. I even got turned away by a call-centre! How discouraging!
So I'm left wondering what the heck I am supposed to do. How far do I go to get a job? Should I indicate I am currently a student on my resume? Should I omit the fact I am going to be deserting them in four months? Do I lie? Where do I draw the line between employment, and integrity?
As tough as it it, I am being optimistic. I have made good friends with the local library, and find myself cooking a lot more cakes. Some days it's easy to be optimistic and excited. However sometimes, in this world where everyone is looking out for number one, I just want to crawl home and have someone need me, to tell me they wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't around. I guess we all feel this way, we need to be needed.
So if you're looking for a job this summer, don't be discouraged, there is a job out there for you. It may not be exactly what you are looking for. Heck I gave up my 9-5 dream job two weeks ago. Keep looking, seek and you will find...eventually.

2 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

Hey Mere! Its good to see your blogging! I just flew back to NB yesterday. I see you are in Halifax. Our plans are still up in the air. We might be going to NYC for fun next week but maybe we can go up to the city soon. I am sorry to hear your job dilemmas. I should have warned you. Jen (S-I-L) told me that is how it is. Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're having such a difficult time...there is a job for you in Halifax, just keep looking!